The following academic rules shall govern all regular students in order to remain in the BA Linguistics program. They must:
Those who fail to meet the above rules are given probationary status by the Department for one (1) semester.
The following students are given probationary status by the Department:
- Students who fail to meet the academic rules set by the Department
- A student, who, at the end of the semester, obtains a final grade below 3.0 in more than 60% of the total academic units they are registered
- Students on delinquent status as assessed by the Office of the College Secretary
- New shiftees
- New transferees
Probationary status shall take effect for a maximum of one year only. The following conditions shall govern probationary students in order to remain in the BA Linguistics program. Probationary students must meet the following conditions:
- Enroll in at least 15 units in the semester immediately following the semester when they are tagged as on probation
- Enroll in at least 3 units of major courses for the duration of the probationary status
- Pass all academic units registered in the semester
- Maintain a departmental average of 1.75 for Linguistics 110 and 115 and a cumulative average of 2.0 or better for other Linguistics courses
- For Plans B and C, maintain a cumulative average of 2.0 or better for all Linguistics and foreign language specialization courses
- Must not get INC, DRP, LOA, 4.0, or 5.0 for the duration of the probationary status
- Other conditions stipulated by the College and the University otherwise not specified.
Those who fail to meet the above conditions will be automatically dismissed from the Department. Students may also be dismissed from the Department upon the recommendation of the College.
Students who will be dismissed from the program may be housed in the Department for no more than two (2) semesters until they find a new degree program.
Dismissal may be waived only upon the presentation of supporting documents and a letter of appeal to the Department Chair.